Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Writer's Block - Ahhhhhhh!

This morning I am working on my writing project, a book entitled "Splashes of Grace - When God Shows His Love in a Thousand Ways".  I have to be honest, this book is either going to be a breakthrough for me, or it will kill me.  Right now, I'm betting on the "kill me" option.

There are few things more disheartening than sitting at a keyboard, with pages to write and not one word in my head.  Literally.  It would be like gathering all the ingredients together to make my favorite recipe, only to find that I have forgotten how to cook.  Or what the ingredients are for.  Or even what they are. 

I'm telling you, I've got nothing.

I keep telling myself to just keep writing, even if I know that what is appearing on the screen is useless.  Just keep writing and at some point something will kick in and it will all begin to come together.  Just keep trying.

Just. Keep. Trying.
Arrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!


I've come to the HAECC, where our Cegep classes are held, to be alone and write without interruption.  While classes are over for the summer, I can still come to our classroom and use my laptop to write.  It's quiet here.  The only sounds are the hum of the air conditioner and the occasional door closing somewhere in the building.  Nice and quiet. 

Sigh.

The problem is that once the panic begins, like a vague flutter of trapped butterflies in my stomach, my brain seems to completely shut down.  Really, at that point, all seems lost. 

I think, at times like this, all I can do is discipline myself to stay here, write the dusty bits of refuse floating about in my vapid brain and try not to panic.  Or give up.  Or sob uncontrollably all over the keyboard. 

One thing gives me solace.  I am not alone.  I am still sitting in this chair by sheer prayer-power.  Without God, I'd have bolted a long time ago. I'm really grateful for Him.



Okay, maybe two things - you know I can't ever pass by a cat pic...

Peace out.


2 comments:

Grace Ann said...

Hi Kelly,
It's great you are writing this book and with this title that so inspired me to start Splashes of Grace blog.

Keep going, depend on God's strength. Listen to praise and worship and be around Christian friends that will encourage you.

All the best to you, God Bless!

Kelly said...

Hi Sue,

It's so cool to see where God is taking the Splashes of Grace concept, isn't it?

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Hugs, Kelly

My Zimbio